Acer Shirashanum Aureum 3L
Also known as the ‘Golden Full Moon’ Maple, Acer shirasawanum Aureum is a slow growing beauty with stunning, uniquely coloured, fan-shaped leaves.
Starting with buttery-yellow leaves in the spring, in summer the tree's foliage transforms into a display of bright yellow/lime, before its leaves complete their transition to golden orange with red margins in the autumn.
Small crimson flowers appear in summer as the tree matures, contrasting beautifully with the butter-yellow leaves.
Perfect for any garden, it is easy to grow and very hardy even in the coldest parts of the UK. Fully deserving its coveted RHS Award of Garden Merit, you can be sure that this is a proven garden performer, guaranteed to be suitable for UK gardeners at every level of experience. You can therefore plant this in the garden with confidence, for stunning displays for many years to come.
With a bushy, spreading habit, this golden Japanese Maple will reach around 4m x 4m metres in 20 years and thrives in moist, well-drained soil in dappled shade (although will also be fine in full sun if kept regularly watered).
Supplied as a 3L potted plant approx. 50cm tall, ready for immediate potting on or planting out.
- Ideal For: Pots/Containers/Patios/Feature Plant/Year-Round Interest/Instant impact
- Flowers: N/A - Foliage Interest
- Position: Sun/Part-Shade
- Height/Spread: 2.5m x 2.5m
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Supplied as: 1 Acer ‘Shirazz’ in 3L pot
Planting Advice for your Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum':
- If your soil is slightly acidic, then you have the perfect conditions to grow Japanese maples - however do not worry if you have not as most can be grown in other soils as long as they are not wet, dry or very alkaline.
- If growing in a pot, use a 50/50 mix of ericaceous and multipurpose compost if you can - although again don't worry overly about this.
- If planting in the garden, prepare a wide hole and loosen the soil with a fork, incorporating organic matter as needed to improve moisture retention and condition.
- Plant your Acer so that the top of the root ball is just slightly below ground level.
- Fill the planting hole with soil and heel well in. Water well.
Aftercare advice for your Acer shirasawanum:
- Leaf colour is best in partial shade, although full sun can be tolerated as long as the plant is well watered.
- Avoid exposed places as leaves can suffer with windburn (scorch), especially if the plant is dry.
- Allow your Japanese Maple to get used to a whole day in the sun by starting it off in the shade, then standing it in its final sunny spot (in pot or in the garden soil) for one hour longer every day for a week.
- Water regularly and deeply.
- Feed with our specialist Acer feed.
- Mulch every couple of years with well-rotted garden compost or well-rotted manure or leaf mould.
Pruning advice for your Acer 'Aureum':
- Acers generally do not need pruning, just remove any branches that are dead or damaged.
- 1 x Plant
Delivery and Returns
Ordered items are usually despatched within 3 to 5 working days.
Most deliveries require someone to accept and sign for the delivery to ensure the goods are received correctly. To help you we can arrange for delivery to be made elsewhere. Click here for more information.
We hope you like your purchase, however, if you are not entirely satisfied with any item, it can be sent back to us for a refund, provided it is returned within 14 days after delivery has been made (unless otherwise specified). Please click here for more information.