Blue Beargrass Tree 20L Pot Nolina Nelsonii
The Blue Beargrass Tree, Nolina nelsonii, is a trunk-forming succulent plant from Mexico that looks very much like (and is actually related to) the Yucca, with long, silvery-blue leaves.
A striking architectural plant for your garden, Nolina will happily grow in a well-drained, sunny border such as in a gravel garden, and it's best grown as a focal specimen plant in a container, where it can be moved to the sunniest part of your garden to take full advantage of the summer heat.
Forming one or more stems, Blue Beargrass produces dense rosettes of foliage and their dramatic, stiff leaves can reach 1m (3ft) long, each with tiny, tooth-like serrations on their edges making them very decorative.
Also, older leaves form a skirt under the main dome making this an exceptionally architectural and imposing plant, rivalling any trunked yuccas for dramatic presence and sure to become a talking point in your garden!
Tough and easy to grow, Nolina is reasonably quick growing, forming a large specimen in just a few years and may also produce 1.25 (4ft) tall flower spikes, each with thousands of dainty, fragrant white blooms.
Planting advice for your Nolina Blue Beargrass Tree:
- As is can spread to 2m (6ft) wide, plant its position carefully as they are difficult to transplant once they have put their roots down.
- Tough, drought-tolerant and hardy down to -12ºC, Nolina nelsonii is an ideal choice for a sunny position with excellent drainage.
- If growing in a container, use a potting mix formulated for cacti and do not overwater.
Aftercare advice for Nolina nelsonii:
- Needing full sun and very well-drained soil, water Nolina infrequently or not at all. Although they're hardy down to -12ºC they need to be kept dry.
- Nolinas need a very free-draining, sandy, gritty soil that allows water to pass through freely, which is why they are recommended as a container plant so that they don't sit in water - a raised bed or sloping aspect is also ideal.
Pruning advice for your Blue Beargrass Tree
- No pruning is needed, although old, dead leaves can be removed if you prefer.
- Ideal For: Pots/Containers/Patio/Greenhouse/Conservatory
- Position: Full Sun
- Height/Spread: 2m x 2m
- Hardiness: Fully Hardy
- Supplied as: An established plant 60-70cm tall in a 20L pot, ready to plant out, Nolina is reasonably quick growing, forming a large specimen in just a few years reaching approx. 2m (6ft) x 2m (6ft)
- 1 x Plant
Delivery and Returns
Your order will be dispatched within 3-5 working days. Most deliveries require someone to accept and sign for the delivery to ensure the goods are received correctly. To help you we can arrange for delivery to be made elsewhere. Click here for more information.
We hope you like your purchase, however, if you are not entirely satisfied with any item, it can be sent back to us for a refund, provided it is returned within 14 days after delivery has been made (unless otherwise specified). Please click here for more information.