Brassia Shelob Tolkien (Spider Orchid) 12cm Pot
With its spiky maroon petals marked with yellow-brown spots and stripes and a paler, billowing lip, the Spider Orchid is an unusual and highly desirable houseplant that is rarely offered for sale.
The narrow-petaled blooms of this beautiful pot orchid are said to resemble a spider and with very good reason - they're designed to attract the spider wasp which is the plant's main pollinator, and this variety was even named after the giant spider in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy by JRR Tolkein.
The flower spikes themselves can grow to be quite long, and the spotted blooms hang delicately on each side making it an eye-catching feature plant that will add an exotic touch to any room.
Easy to grow and care for, the spider orchid just needs the occasional soak in rainwater, a bright, warm position out of direct sunlight and the occasional feed - perfect if you haven't got time to mollycoddle your plants. If you want your blooms to last as long as possible, keep plants away from ripening fruit.
Supplied as an established plant in a 12cm pot, plants will reach H70cm x W50cm.
- Place Orchids in a light spot, out of direct sunlight and away from artificial heat and drafts
- Pot orchids do not like wet feet, so water by immersing the plant once a week for 5 to 10 minutes in water at room temperature and letting it drain
- Where possible, use rainwater as it is low in dissolved minerals and water in the early part of the day so that the plant is drained well before evening and cooler temperatures
- Keep your orchid drier in the winter when it is dormant, watering only occasionally. Give the orchid more water again in the spring, once or twice a week
- Feed once a month with a specialist orchid feed, stopping after blooming has finished and starting when new growth is seen
- Mist your plant regularly to maintain a humid environment or you can place the pot in a gravel tray - remember however not to let the plant sit in water
- 1 x Brassia Shelob Tolkien (Spider Orchid) 12cm Pot
Delivery and Returns
Your order will be dispatched within 3-5 working days. Most deliveries require someone to accept and sign for the delivery to ensure the goods are received correctly. To help you we can arrange for delivery to be made elsewhere. Click here for more information.
We hope you like your purchase, however, if you are not entirely satisfied with any item, it can be sent back to us for a refund, provided it is returned within 14 days after delivery has been made (unless otherwise specified). Please click here for more information.
- £4.99 P&P