Hardy Gardenia Crown Jewels Plants 9cm Pots (3 Pack)
The hardiest, most floriferous Gardenia yet, 'Crown Jewel' is a great variety, that is only just being seen in the UK! Just as stunning and as fragrant as its indoor relative, its snowy white, waxy, star-shaped flowers completely smother its exquisite evergreen leaves from early June.
The scent of gardenias is so gorgeous its often used in perfume, so imagine sitting on your patio this summer surrounded by its intoxicatingly sweet fragrance heavenly! A beautifully compact shrub, Gardenia Crown Jewel is very easy to grow and care for. Simply plant it in a pot or garden border, preferably using ericaceous compost, and it will happily grow and flourish outdoors all year round.
Supplied as a collection of 3 plants ready to pot on or plant out. Flowers June - September, H80cm x W60cm.
- Category: Trees & Shrubs/Flowering Shrubs
- Ideal For: Beds/Borders/Pots/Garden Fragrance
- Flowers: June - August
- Position: Full Sun
- Height/Spread: 80cm x 60cm
- Hardiness: Fully Hardy
- Supplied as: a set of 3 plants in 9cm pots
Planting your Gardenia jasminoides Crown Jewel':
- Outside, choose a sheltered position, ideally in dappled or partial shade. Plants will tolerate a light frost, otherwise grow indoors in acidic (lime-free) compost.
- Prefers well-drained, fertile and slightly acidic soil or can be grown in a large container of ericaceous (acid) compost.
- Before planting, water your potted plant well.
- Dig a hole a little deeper and 3 x wider than the nursery pot.
- Add a soil conditioner such as well-rotted manure to the earth removed from the hole along with some ericaceous compost if necessary.
- Remove the plant from its pot and tease out a few of the roots.
- Place your plant in the hole at the same level at the pot.
- Refill the hole with the earth removed (backfilling). then firm in the soil with your heel, avoiding the root ball.
- Water well (use rainwater) and mulch around the base of the plant with a collar, compost, gravel, bark etc.
Aftercare Advice for your Hardy Gardenia:
- Feed your gardenia well throughout the growing season (spring and summer) with a nitrogen-rich fertiliser in summer to avoid yellowing of the leaves.
- Water regularly until your plant is fully established - use rainwater where possible and keep the soil moist (but not saturated).
- Over winter, although perfectly hardy, plants will benefit from some protection if it gets very cold. You can move container grown plants into a frost-free area or cover with good horticultural fleece.
- Continue to feed plants with a balanced fertiliser over winter but reduce to once every 5-6 weeks. Reduce watering too, but do not allow the soil to fully dry out.
Pruning Advice for Gardenia Crown Jewel:
- Remove faded flowers to improve the appearance of your plant.
- If necessary, trim lightly in early spring after flowering to help maintain a neat shape.
- 3 x Plants?
Delivery and Returns
Ordered items are usually despatched within 3 to 5 working days.
Most deliveries require someone to accept and sign for the delivery to ensure the goods are received correctly. To help you we can arrange for delivery to be made elsewhere. Click here for more information.
We hope you like your purchase, however, if you are not entirely satisfied with any item, it can be sent back to us for a refund, provided it is returned within 14 days after delivery has been made (unless otherwise specified). Please click here for more information.