Hardy Verbena Bonariensis Plugs (12 Pack)
A tall, award-winning perennial with erect, branching stems, Verbena bonariensis is a well-loved garden plant deserving a place in every garden so long as there is border space to plant it.
Tightly packed clusters of small, purple flowers are produced in abundance and carried on tall, willowy stems from summer to autumn, adding a sophisticated grace to planting schemes.
Also known as Argentinian vervain, it is one of the longest-lasting plants in the garden, with flower heads persisting right into the depths of winter, providing much needed interest.
Ideal as a filler in borders, it is 'transparent', allowing other plants to shine through, and one of the best plants around to add structure to the border and attract a host of pollinating insects to the garden - probably why garden designers love it so much.
Reliably hardy and very easy to grow, v.bonariensis has been given the RHS Award of Garden Merit, assuring you of its garden-worthiness and suitability for UK gardens and gardeners - whatever their level of experience.
As an added bonus, this verbena seeds freely so, once established you're guaranteed a plentiful source of free plants!
- Ideal For: Beds/Borders/Cottage Garden/Winter Interest
- Flowers: June - October
- Position: Full Sun/Partial Shade
- Height/Spread: 200cm x 75cm
- Hardiness: Fully Hardy
- Supplied as: 12 x plug plants ready for potting on.
- When potting on ("pricking out"), handle plugs carefully.
- For plug plants in trays, push them out using a suitable small instrument through the hole in the bottom of each cell – e.g. a "dibber" or a pencil.
- Pot on using our Windowsill planters or 9cm pots in Shuttle Trays, using good multi-purpose compost.
- Give your plants a good water initially, then only when the top compost starts to dry - they don’t like to be left in standing water.
- When planting out, grow in well-drained, moderately fertile soil in full sun. In cold areas, protect with a dry winter mulch.
- Verbena bonariensis can suffer dieback in harsh winters if cut back in autumn, so it's best to leave the plant until spring and cut back the old growth when you see the new shoots emerging at the base.
- 12 x Plants?
Delivery and Returns
Ordered items are usually despatched within 7 to 10 working days.
Most deliveries require someone to accept and sign for the delivery to ensure the goods are received correctly. To help you we can arrange for delivery to be made elsewhere. Click here for more information.
We hope you like your purchase, however, if you are not entirely satisfied with any item, it can be sent back to us for a refund, provided it is returned within 14 days after delivery has been made (unless otherwise specified). Please click here for more information.