Red Amaryllis Bulbs (3 Pack)
Whether you’re looking for a splash of colour or a gorgeous houseplant, then Amaryllis (or Hippeastrum) is just the plant that you are looking for.
Even though they usually flower in early spring, Amaryllis are best known as a house plant for Christmas time, making superb gifts that really brighten festive displays when grown. These bulbs are supplied ready to sprout leaves and burst into flower - all they need is water and a little care and you'll be able to raise a fascinating flowering plant.
These large bulbs will each produce a strong stem bearing three or four dazzling red trumpet blooms. Planted in December and kept in a warm room they will bloom in around 6-8 weeks and provide interest throughout as the stems steadily emerge and blooms unfurl.
Perfect as room decoration this Amaryllis can also be cut as a trendy addition to a modern floral vase. They're really easy to grow too - just plant your Amaryllis into bulb compost so that the top third of the bulb is above the compost, water occasionally and watch it grow!
Over the summer, when the flowers have been removed, place your amaryllis outside in a sunny sheltered position as a foliage plant to enjoy it for longer.
- Category: Bulbs & Tubers/Spring Flowering
- Ideal For: Pots/Indoor Houseplant/Christmas Gifts
- Flowers: December – February (8 weeks from planting)
- Position: Bright Window out of direct sun
- Height/Spread: 50cm x 30cm
- Hardiness: Frost tender
- Supplied as: A set of 3 bulbs, ready for immediate planting
Planting your Amaryllis
- A tender bulb, Amaryllis need to be planted and grown indoors. Just plant the bulb in good compost (our premium professional compost is ideal), water regularly and place somewhere warm and sunny, out of direct light.
- Plant each amaryllis bulb, pointed end up, in an 8in clay pot. (plastic pots can tip over as the blooms get heavier). Pack the compost gently around the bulb leaving around one-third of the top of the bulb exposed.
- Use a support stake if the blooms look top heavy.
Aftercare for your Amaryllis
- Place the pot in a bright position, out of direct sunlight. Water sparingly until you see about 5cm (2in) of new growth, then water regularly.
- As your amaryllis grows, turn the pot a quarter turn each day to encourage the flower stalks to grow straight.
- Feed every 10-14 days with a standard tomato fertiliser.
- Most varieties will begin blooming six to eight weeks after planting although some can take as long as ten weeks. The flower buds will appear at the top of the stalk, followed by the huge blooms.
- To get the blooms to last longer, move the plant to a cool room once the buds open.
- Flowers can be cut for the vase and will last up to 2 weeks.
- Remove the flower stalk once blooming has finished and place your amaryllis outside to make the most of the summer sun. The leaves will start to die back in autumn, and you can allow the bulb to dry slightly before bringing it back indoors in October to rest for a few weeks before starting the cycle again.
As individual flowers start to fade, carefully snip them off. Once all flowers on a flower stalk has faded, cut the stem back to within a few inches of the bulb and move the plant outside once all risk of frost has passed.
- 3 x Bulbs
Delivery and Returns
Your order will be dispatched within 3-5 working days. Most deliveries require someone to accept and sign for the delivery to ensure the goods are received correctly. To help you we can arrange for delivery to be made elsewhere. Click here for more information.
We hope you like your purchase, however, if you are not entirely satisfied with any item, it can be sent back to us for a refund, provided it is returned within 14 days after delivery has been made (unless otherwise specified). Please click here for more information.