Sempervivum "Houseleek" Alpine Plugs (12 Packs)
Sempervivums, the iconic houseleek, are working their magic and are bang on trend as the must-have plant for 2019!
Making a welcome return to our homes, gardeners are falling in love again with the houseleek and discovering that they are a real multipurpose plant, and ideal in pots on the patio or balcony.
Be part of this succulent revolution and buy yours now - let yourself be won over by these fascinating, low-maintenance perennials. Available in a range of colours and sizes, colours deepen in winter as the weather becomes colder.
Sempervivums form rosettes of colourful, evergreen, succulent leaves and are low growing, making them extremely popular as a living carpet of green and an ideal candidate for green roofs and living walls as they're recommended as an ideal plant to help adapt our gardens to climate change.
Also known as hen and chicks, sempervivums are drought tolerant and will grow in the narrowest of cracks - hence their common name, as they were once used to plug gaps in leaking roofs.
This resurgence in popularity has been driven in part by their undemanding nature - they're very much a 'plant-it-and-leave-it' type of plant - easy to grow and a doddle to maintain, fully winter hardy and produce multiple new plants every year.
As a bonus during the summer, the mature rosettes throw out spikes topped with star shaped flowers which insects love, plus they produce offsets, or new plants, every season that are simple to separate and grow as new specimens.
Really easy to grow and a favourite with kids, Sempervivums require a well-drained soil in full sun, tolerating drought when established.
Supplied as a collection of 12 named plants, 2 of each variety:
- Sempervivum arachnoideum: the cobweb houseleek, covered in white cobwebs and 1-3cm (0.5 -1in) rosettes. Pink flowers.
- Sempervivum calcareum: Classic green with purple leaf tips, with large rosettes up to 13cm (5in). White flowers.
- Sempervivum Joribara allionii: Bright green with small rosettes, 5cm (2in). Yellow flowers.
- Sempervivum Ruby Heart: Long burgundy leaves with emerald- green tips in large rosettes to 18cm (7in). Rose-pink flowers.
- Sempervivum Standard Green: Bright green leaves and pink flowers. Medium-sized rosettes to 8cm (3in).
- Sempervivum Rubin (AGM):Burgundy-red leaves with pink flowers. Rosettes 10cm (4in) wide.
Please note that varieties may change throughout the year, depending on availability.
- Ideal For: Pots/Bedding/Front of Border/Edging/Gravel Gardens/Rockeries
- Flowers: Jun - Sept
- Position: Sun
- Height/Spread: 10cm x 30cm
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Supplied as: A collection of 12 named plug plants, 2 of each variety
- 12 x Plants
Delivery and Returns
Your order will be dispatched within 3-5 working days. Most deliveries require someone to accept and sign for the delivery to ensure the goods are received correctly. To help you we can arrange for delivery to be made elsewhere. Click here for more information.
We hope you like your purchase, however, if you are not entirely satisfied with any item, it can be sent back to us for a refund, provided it is returned within 14 days after delivery has been made (unless otherwise specified). Please click here for more information.
- £4.99 P&P