Senecio Rowleyanus (String of Pearls) 14cm Pot
Senecio herreianus, AKA the string-of-pearls or string-of-beads plant, is a trailing, succulent vine and one of the rising stars of social media sharing!
Looking just like a string of green beads, its perfect for hanging baskets or cascading from shelves - the String of Beads appreciates room to trail and is perfectly photogenic.
The pea-sized leaves (which allow for the storage of water while at the same time minimising water loss) are produced on trailing stems which can grow 60–90 cm (2–3 ft). In its natural habitat, the stems trail on the ground, rooting where they touch and forming a dense mat.
Each rounded leaf has a thin band of dark green tissue on the side known as an 'epidermal window' which allows light to enter and irradiate the inside of the leaf, effectively increasing the area for photosynthesis - a clever plant indeed. Senecio blooms during the summer with clusters of small white flowers with colourful stamens.
The flowers last about a month and are said to smell like cinnamon and other spices to some people.
Easy to grow and low maintenance, like most succulents the string of pearls will tolerate infrequent watering and just a few hours of direct sunlight every day. Good soil drainage is essential though to prevent problems and we recommend that you use a cactus mix when potting.
Several plants together will give the best display, so when long stems become straggly, cut them off and poke the cuttings back into the soil to create a fuller plant.
- Best grown in bright light with some direct sun in well-draining compost
- Keep lightly watered during the growing season (spring to autumn) and cut back in winter, watering just enough to prevent the soil from drying out. Beads that look flat are a sign that the soil is too dry
- Take care not to overwater as it will not tolerate soggy soil
- As a succulent, the String of Pearls will not tolerate the cold and needs a minimum of 5°C being frost tender. It can be grown outside in the summer months, but keep it shaded from the hot midday sun
- Plants can be fed once a month during their growing season with a half-strength liquid feed
- 1 x Senecio Rowleyanus (String of Pearls) 14cm Pot
Delivery and Returns
Your order will be dispatched within 3-5 working days. Most deliveries require someone to accept and sign for the delivery to ensure the goods are received correctly. To help you we can arrange for delivery to be made elsewhere. Click here for more information.
We hope you like your purchase, however, if you are not entirely satisfied with any item, it can be sent back to us for a refund, provided it is returned within 14 days after delivery has been made (unless otherwise specified). Please click here for more information.
- £4.99 P&P