Tumbling Tom Tomato Plants (6 Pack)
Juicy, ripe tomatoes picked straight from the plant are a luxury that everyone must experience, and these tumbling toms can be enjoyed by anyone whatever space they have.
Not only are they incredibly easy to grow, they're also ideal in a hanging basket, window box, or pot in a sunny, sheltered spot where they'll look great trailing over the edges.
Growing tomatoes is easy and incredibly rewarding - make salads and chutneys, or of course eat them fresh. 'Tumbling Tom Yellow' is the ideal variety to get started growing your own tomatoes - so easy in hanging baskets, tubs, planters and even window boxes, you will get hundreds of small cherry tomatoes in summer. Kids love growing them too (and of course eating them), and this is a great way to start a life-long interest in gardening.
Trailing tomatoes are self-branching, so other than pinching the tip out when you plant them up, there is no need to do anything else to them, unlike other tomato varieties - so they're ideal to grow if you’re not a confident gardener.
Tumbling Tom produces massive crops of firm, round fruit all summer long - each one packed with sweet, delicious juice. Perfect fresh and in salads.
- Ideal For: Patio pots/containers/baskets/window boxes
- Flowers: May
- Fruit: July - October
- Position: Sun
- Height/Spread: 40cm x 40cm
- Hardiness: Not hardy, protect from frost
- Supplied as: A pack of 6 plugs, ready to plant straight outside once risk of frosts is passed. Pot up and grow on in 9cm pots beforehand
Planting Advice for Tumbling Tomatoes
- Once the plants are 10cm tall, they can be planted in the hanging basket or container, ideally using 1 plant for a 25cm basket or 3 in a 35cm basket.
- Tomatoes can be planted up into their containers from April onwards, and grown on for a couple of weeks before placing outside after hardening off. Cover plants with horticultural fleece on any unexpectedly cold nights.
- Fill containers to within 2-3cm (about 1in) of the rim with moist compost - growing bag compost or our own professional compost is ideal.
- Bury the roots deeply (up to first ‘seed’ leaves on the stem) and water well, to settle the compost around them.
- Place the containers in a sunny sheltered spot.
Aftercare advice for your tumbling toms
- Water regularly to keep the compost moist - at least once a day in hot weather when the plants grow larger.
- As soon as fruits start to form, feed the plants regularly with a liquid tomato food.
- Remove old leaves as they yellow to let in light and air.
Picking your tomatoes
- Let the fruits get really ripe before you pick them to maximise their taste - the first ones should be ready from the end of July
- 3 x Red
- 3 x Yellow
Delivery and Returns
Ordered items are usually despatched within 3 to 5 working days.
Most deliveries require someone to accept and sign for the delivery to ensure the goods are received correctly. To help you we can arrange for delivery to be made elsewhere. Click here for more information.
We hope you like your purchase, however, if you are not entirely satisfied with any item, it can be sent back to us for a refund, provided it is returned within 14 days after delivery has been made (unless otherwise specified). Please click here for more information.